Alleged ‘Dine and Dash Dater’ Denies Litany of Charges

Published : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 | 3:57 AM

Alleged 'Dine and Dash Dater' Paul Guadalupe Gonzales. Image via Facebook

A man accused of meeting local women online, going out with them for dinner and then dashing out on the check pleaded not guilty Monday to 14 charges, authorities said.

Paul Guadalupe Gonzales, 45, faces seven counts of extortion, two counts of attempted extortion and one count of grand theft, which are felonies, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office. He’s also accused of four misdemeanors: two counts of petty theft and two counts of defrauding an innkeeper.

Gonzales attracted his own media firestorm after he victimized two women at Pasadena restaurants earlier this year. His actions attracted the attention of several major media outlets and of Pasadena police.

He targeted 10 women, primarily through dating apps, District Attorney’s office spokesman Paul Eakins said in a written statement.

“He allegedly went to dinner with them at restaurants in Pasadena, Long Beach, Burbank and Los Angeles, where he ordered and consumed food and drinks, then allegedly left without paying any of the bill,” he said.

Eight of the women paid the checks themselves, while the restaurants footed the bill in two instances, Eakins said. Gonzales is accused of duping the women out of more than $950.

“In a separate and unrelated incident, the defendant also allegedly received services from a hair salon and left without paying,” Eakins added.

Pasadena police arrested Gonzales July 25, three weeks after prosecutors issued an arrest warrant, according to officials and county booking records.

Gonzales faces up to 13 years in state prison if convicted as charged.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Sept. 7. In the meantime, Gonzales remains in custody, with bail set at $315,000.

 

 

 

 

 

 

blog comments powered by Disqus