Published : Tuesday, April 2, 2019 | 4:56 AM
First there was a fence that shouldn’t have been built. Now there’s an application to build it before Pasadena’s Historic Preservation Commission.
The Commission will conduct a public hearing April 2, on the application for a Certificate of Appropriateness for 288 Markham Place, right smack in the middle of the Markham Place Historic District, one of the largest concentrations of houses from the 1883-1904 period south of the Foothill Freeway.
The owner, according to the meeting agenda, wants to obtain an after-the-fact approval for a front yard fence and a driveway gate installed earlier on the property without a zoning permit.
Following a code compliance case and a warning notice for the site, the owner submitted an application for a Certificate of Appropriateness in May 2018. The application covered a three-feet-10 inches tall front yard picket fence of metal tubular posts and steel top and bottom rails, a pedestrian gate, and a driveway gate of the same material.
The proposal also includes one new, four-foot concrete pillar to match two existing pillars, and new English-style light fixtures with faux candles, a staff report from the Department of Planning and Community Development showed.
Before the regular meeting and public hearing at 6 p.m., members of the Commission will view the site at 4:30 p.m., according to the agenda.
The Markham Place Historic District was listed in 2013 in the National Register of Historic Places. Roughly bounded by California Street, Pasadena Avenue, Bellefontaine Street, and Orange Grove Blvd., the district has at least 32 buildings that were constructed between 1887 and 1904.
The district is also significant because it contains an important collection of houses constructed between 1895 and 1918, the Arts and Crafts Movement period.
The City’s Historic Preservation Commission advises the City Council on the promotion, protection and use of Pasadena’s cultural resources. It also recommends the designation of landmarks and landmark districts, and prepares information materials to promote public awareness of the City’s unique heritage.
The Historic Preservation Commission meets at the George Ellery Hale Hearing Room at 175 North Garfield Avenue.