U.S. News & World Report’s annual study rates 31 Kaiser Permanente medical centers as ‘high performing’ in multiple specialties, procedures, and common conditions.
Published : Monday, August 5, 2019 | 5:12 AM
More than 30 Kaiser Permanente hospitals were recognized as “high performing” in U.S. News & World Report’s 2019-20 Best Hospitals study.
The 30th annual study analyzes 25 specialties, procedures, and common conditions to assess hospital performance. High performers are based on an evaluation of more than 4,500 medical centers and designate the 90th percentile of hospitals nationwide.
In Southern California, 15 Kaiser Permanente hospitals are rated as high performers for at least one of the 25 measurements, according to the study.
“We are delighted with the U.S. News & World Report’s recognition of the excellent quality of care provided at our Kaiser Permanente hospitals,” said Julie Miller-Phipps, president of Kaiser Permanente Southern California, based in Pasadena. “This recognition is the result of our excellent patient-centered care delivered by the Permanente physicians, and our nurses and staff every day.”
Here are highlights for Kaiser Permanente Southern California:
- 9 Kaiser Permanente hospitals in Southern California are ranked among the state’s best for overall care, with Los Angeles being the highest ranked at 28.
- Anaheim and Irvine are ranked 11th in the nation for pulmonology and lung surgery.
- Kaiser Permanente hospitals rated “high-performing” for specialty care: Anaheim and Irvine (geriatrics), Los Angeles (neurology & neurosurgery), San Diego Zion and San Diego Medical Center (pulmonology and lung surgery).
- Other Southern California hospitals ranked among California’s best for overall care include:
- Anaheim, Irvine, Fontana, Ontario tied for 37th
- Riverside, South Bay tied for 45th
- Baldwin Park, Downey tied for 52nd
According to the report:
- 31 Kaiser Permanente hospitals are “high performing” for one or more measures.
- 23 Kaiser Permanente hospitals are “high performing” for knee replacement surgery.
- 22 Kaiser Permanente hospitals are “high performing” for congestive heart failure treatment.
- 17 Kaiser Permanente hospitals are “high performing” for hip replacement surgery.
- In addition, Kaiser Permanente has one or more hospitals that are “high performing” for 3 specialties: neurology and neurosurgery; pulmonology and lung surgery; and geriatrics.
“Our experienced and highly skilled physicians, nurses, and front-line staff put our members at the center of everything they do,” said Nancy Gin, MD, regional medical director of quality and clinical analysis for Southern California Permanente Medical Group, and executive vice president and chief quality officer for The Permanente Federation, the national umbrella organization for the more than 22,000 physicians who provide care to Kaiser Permanente’s more than 12.3 million members. “They are committed to ensuring that our patients get healthy and stay healthy.”
In its hospital analysis, U.S. News & World Report uses publicly available data such as volume, mortality rates, infection rates, staffing levels, and patient satisfaction rates, among others.
For more information and complete rankings, visit U.S. News & World Report.