Published : Thursday, December 14, 2017 | 3:19 PM
Old Pasadena becomes the canvas for a day of art and play when Old Pasadena Management District (OPMD) stages the second annual BoldPas: An Art Takeover of Old Pasadena on Saturday, May 12, 2018.
BoldPas is a free, one-day intersection of design, architecture, art, history, and public space featuring one dozen site-specific installations in Old Pasadena’s historic, pedestrian alleyways.
Local artists are encouraged to submit entries between now and February 23, 2018 using the following Call for Submissions criteria and guidelines. The event is designed to build public awareness of Old Pasadena’s unique urban and historic spaces and to encourage visitors to enjoy the space, history, and character of the district. The installations will be medium- to large-scale, site-specific, and public installations; they should be community friendly and showcase color, fun, surprise, and playfulness; a component of public interaction is a plus.
Large- and mid-scale, site-specific public installations must:
• Be constructed of lightweight and/or recycled/everyday materials:
paper, cardboard, yarn/string, plastics, etc.
• Showcase bold, bright colors
• Be appropriate for an urban, historic setting
• Be well-constructed and carefully planned to be safe and stable in public, urban areas
• Be suitable for family viewing and non-political
• Be install-able on-site within a 3-hour window
• Require minimum, non-permanent reinforcement or affixation
• Not utilize any open flames, heat source, or heat-producing lighting
NOTE: Due to landmark status of Old Pasadena, installations may not create or leave any permanent marks, residue, holes, or damage of any kind to buildings.
• Submissions will be reviewed by staff at Old Pasadena Management, and selected based on the creative concept, proposed execution, and its suitability to the event criteria.
• Artists must live in Los Angeles County and be at least 18 years of age. Pasadena-based artists are especially encouraged to apply.
• Selected artists must sign a standard agreement outlining the details and terms of the exhibition prior to the work being exhibited at any of the participating locations in Old Pasadena.
• Selected installations will be subject to review and approval by the City of Pasadena permitting office.
• Artists must be available for the duration of the event on Saturday, May 12, to install, monitor, and dismantle their installation.
• The work must be original and not displayed elsewhere at a prior time.
Old Pasadena Management District will award 12 stipends to chosen installations based on scale, artistic merit, and originality: Four at $1,000 each and eight at $500 each.
The BoldPas event will be marketed and promoted in the following ways:
• Featured on the homepage of our website and dedicated signature event page
- Artists name, bio, installation description, etc.
• Printed and digital map of installations and their locations for self-guided walking tours
• Press release, print/digital advertising support, and media coverage
Individual artists may submit up to three proposals for the event.
The following locations are the potential installation sites (visit website for map):
- Big Bang Theory Way – North, Middle, and South
- Mercantile Place and Braley Court
- Kendall Alley between Union Street and Exchange Alley
- Mills Place north of McCormick Alley
- Fraser and Marmora Alley
- Hayes Alley
- Plotkin Alley
- Central Park, northeast corner at Raymond and Dayton
- Memorial Park, along Raymond north of the Senior Center
Email entries to email@example.com with the subject line BoldPas Submission. Please include for each proposed project:
• A written plan describing the project(s), not exceeding 500 words.
• Up to 4 renderings of proposed installation(s) that provides projected dimensions
and overall footprint in the proposed space.
• Proposed materials with estimated costs.
• Specifics of installation – how the installation will be secured and/or weighted for safety.
• A brief (250 words) artist bio; include photos of prior work if applicable.
• Complete contact information: name, mailing address, phone number, email, and website.
• Requested location for the installation based on the list above. Final location to be assigned after the City permitting review is completed.
Deadline for all submissions is Friday, February 23, 2018 at 5:00pm. Submissions received after the deadline will not be considered. Artists will be notified Friday, March 9 by 5:00pm if they have been selected for participation (upon final permitting review). Questions are welcome at any time during the process and can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please visit www.oldpasadena.org/boldpas for a video of the 2017 BoldPas event, examples of selected installations, and a map of potential locations.
About Old Pasadena
Old Pasadena is the original downtown of Pasadena, home to the Tournament of Roses and located just ten miles from downtown Los Angeles. This 22-block National Register Historic District is internationally recognized as a shining example of urban renewal. Old Pasadena is one of the premiere shopping and dining destinations in the country featuring a cosmopolitan mix of 200 retail shops and specialty boutiques, as well as 100 restaurants, cafés, and entertainment venues. This architectural gem is pedestrian friendly and provides convenient parking and easy access to public transportation, served by major bus lines and two Metro Gold Line.