Published : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 | 10:03 AM
City officials and employees will proudly “Wear Orange” on Friday, June 2, 2017 in support of the City Council’s recent proclamation for Gun Violence Awareness Day.
Pasadena’s local effort is part of a nationwide campaign that began in 2013 to help draw attention to the burgeoning incidents of gun violence in our society. More information about the #WearOrange social media campaign is online at http://wearorange.org.
The City Council proclamation read by Mayor Terry Tornek at the May 22, 2017 Council meeting was as follows:
- Whereas, Gun violence touches every segment of our society and impacts people of all ages; it increases the probability of death in incidents of domestic violence; raises the likelihood of fatalities by those who intend to injure others, and among those who attempt suicide; it places children and young people at increased risk of physical harm and injury; and disproportionately affects communities of color; and
- Whereas, Gun Violence Awareness Day was created to honor the many lives that have been cut short by gun violence in our country and to support efforts to reduce gun-related crimes in the United States; and
- Whereas, It is important to recognize community organizations which assist families that have been directly impacted by gun violence and provide a continuum of care to grieving parents or spouses who must continue to provide for surviving family members; and
- Whereas, The City supports continued statewide efforts to strengthen gun safety laws and educate the community on safe gun storage; and
- Whereas, It is appropriate to set aside a day to honor those Americans whose lives are cut short each year by gun violence, and the countless survivors whose lives are forever altered;
- Now, Therefore, I, Terry Tornek, Mayor of the City of Pasadena, on behalf of the City Council, do hereby proclaim June 2, 2017 in Pasadena as Gun Violence Awareness Day and urge all citizens, businesses, organizations, and agencies to work collaboratively to reduce gun violence in our community.
Join the City and take a stand—and a selfie—against gun violence. Use the hashtag #WearOrange and also send to us on Twitter @PasadenaGov.