Published : Sunday, March 31, 2019 | 4:42 AM
Arroyo Seco Weekend, the family-friendly rock-music festival held at Brookside next to the Rose Bowl, has been postponed and will not take place in June, sources confirmed.
In a statement, Darryl Dunn, CEO and general manager of the Rose Bowl Operating Co. said: “ASW is planning on occurring later in 2019. It won’t be happening in June as it did last year.”
The Rose Bowl Operating Co. oversees the stadium and Brookside’s two 18-hole golf courses, where the Arroyo Seco Weekend music festival is held.
The push to get music and non-sports events into the Rose Bowl has been an important initiative to diversify the stadium’s revenue streams against rising costs and increased competition for the event-goer’s dollar.
The abrupt news of the Arroyo Seco Weekend change follows the announcement Saturday that The Rolling Stones have postponed their North American No Filter Tour, which was set for a stop at the Rose Bowl on May 11.
When asked when the Arroyo Seco Weekend may be held, Meredith Thomas director of communications for the Rose Bowl said: “For now we know that it will not be taking place in June this year. It will take place later this summer, beginning of fall.”
Thomas said dates would be forthcoming when made available.
The inaugural Arroyo Seco Weekend held in 2017, was the first event under a 10-year contract between promoter AEG division Goldenvoice and the Rose Bowl Operating Co., signed in 2015. It had been expected that the Arroyo Seco Weekend was to take place annually through at least 2026.
At the time the contract was executed, Dunn called the deal “crucial” for the Rose Bowl. He told PasadenaNow.com that expenses continue to rise at the Rose Bowl and there is increased competition for the sports dollar with the opening of the Los Angeles Stadium at Hollywood Park, the Inglewood home of the NFL’s LA Rams.
If the festival is postponed to another date, there could be a change in the original projections for economic impact brought by Arroyo Seco Weekend to Pasadena.
Based on a study provided to PasadenaNow.com by Roy Weinstein of Micronomics Economic Research and Consulting of Los Angeles, attendance expectations for Arroyo Seco Weekend were initially estimated to be 40,000 and in the second year grow to 55,000, where figures were expected to remain stable through oncoming years.
Based on those attendance figures, the economic impact brought to Pasadena in year 2 was initially estimated to be as great as $7 million total expenditures by day and overnight visitors, with as much as $2 million spent “offsite” by festival enthusiasts.
But Arroyo Seco Weekend organizer Nic Adler of Goldenvoice said that the attendance in 2017 and 2018 was about 25,000 each weekend. Goldenvoice is also the promoter for upcoming Coachella (April 12-14, April 19-21) and Stagecoach (April 26-28).
Goldenvoice also promoted the Desert Trip festival in 2016, which featured multi-generational superstar music acts The Rolling Stones, The Who, Paul McCartney, Neil Young, Roger Waters, The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan.
There was no second year of Desert Trip following initial reports the second year of the festival had been postponed.
No reason has been given for the postponement. Goldenvoice was not immediately available for comment at press time.