Published : Monday, May 20, 2019 | 6:52 PM
The Arroyo Seco Weekend will be “taking a year off” and won’t be staged in 2019, Rose Bowl General Manager Darryl Dunn said on Monday, adding “we hope it will be back in 2020.”
Dunn said promoters Goldenvoice and AEG “just decided that this year, their opinion is it’s in their best interest to take the year off and hopefully come back better in 2020.”
But Dunn said that just-announced new Pasadena Daydream Festival featuring The Cure and a number of artists in concert on Aug. 31 is not a replacement for Arroyo Seco Weekend.
“I think it’s a different event,” Dunn said. “I don’t think it’s a replacement.”
Not much has been heard about the Arroyo Seco Weekend since Goldenvoice announced its postponement on March 31.
Then came news on May 14 about the all-new Pasadena Daydream Festival curated and headlined by The Cure, with scheduled performers including Pixies, Deftones and Chelsea Wolfe slated to appear.
The one-day festival will also feature performances by Mogwai, Throwing Muses, The Joy Formidable, The Twilight Sad, Emma Ruth Rundle and Kælan Mikla, it was announced.
Still, nothing was officially said about the status of the Arroyo Seco Weekend.
The Weekend festival has taken place in June over the past two years and attracted families and concert-goers in the over-25 demographic.
“Numbers have been good,” Dunn said about the Arroyo Seco Weekend. “I think people love it.”
Dunn pointed out that Goldenvoice’s hit Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival took a year off and “came back obviously. So we’re hoping for the same thing here.”
Neil Young, Jack White and Robert Plant were among the headliners at last year’s ASW and the inaugural headliners in 2017 included Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, Mumford and Sons, Weezer and Alabama Shakes.
“Arroyo Seco Weekend is a great event and like I said, we’re excited about it [coming] back again soon. In the meantime, we’re going to have some wonderful events in summer of 2019,” Dunn said.