Suspect in Pasadena Murder Which Triggered Manhunt in Downtown Neighborhoods Pleads Not Guilty

Published : Thursday, March 14, 2019 | 5:17 AM

A Los Angeles man accused of fatally stabbing the manager of a supportive-housing facility in downtown Pasadena pleaded not guilty Wednesday to one count of murder with the allegation that a deadly weapon was used to commit the crime.

Telly R. Johnson, 41, appeared in a Pasadena courtroom for the second time, after his first arraignment last week was continued to March 13, according to Los Angeles District Attorney’s office sources.

He remains held in the Twin Towers Correctional Facility in Los Angeles in lieu of $2 million bail.

The hunt for murder suspect Telly Johnson on Friday, March 2, 2019, by Pasadena police kept hundreds of Pasadenans sheltered in place for over 5 hours in a large containment area.

Johnson allegedly repeatedly stabbed 52-year-old victim Byron Young Nettles in the lobby of the Euclid Villa Transition Housing facility in the 100 block of South Euclid Avenue last Friday, March 1.

KCAL9 interviews with witnesses that morning suggested that Johnson argued with Nettles over the drug addiction treatment of a woman both knew, who was in a relationship with Johnson.

When Nettles said it was beyond his power to help the woman, Johnson flew into a rage and stabbed Nettles in the face and chest, the KCAL report said.

Pasadena Fire Dept. paramedics took Nettles to a local hospital, where he died after undergoing surgery.

The stabbing attack led to the 5-hour shutdown of a large, mostly-residential area of Pasadena as police hunted Johnson with a helicopter, ground officers and canine units.

Responding police immediately set up a containment perimeter bounded by Green Street on the north, California Blvd. on the south, Marengo Ave. on the west, and Los Robles Ave. on the east to search for Johnson, who reportedly had fled on foot.

Mayfield Junior School, located about three blocks south of where the stabbing occurred, was placed on lockdown. Only a limited number of students, about 25, were on the campus during the incident.

Area residents were asked to shelter in place during the hours-long search.

The Glendale Police Department also provided assistance during the search for the suspect.

At about 2:30 p.m., the search concluded without finding Johnson.

After the morning’s preliminary investigation by Pasadena detectives suggested the incident was not random in nature, they requested the U.S. Marshal’s – Pacific Southwest Regional Fugitive Task Force to surveil the 1900 block of Cordova Street in Los Angeles.

At approximately 9:26 p.m. Friday night, the suspect was Johnson was apprehended without incident.

Detectives also executed a search warrant at a residence and vehicle in the same block. The knife used to kill Nettles reportedly was not found.

Johnson faces a possible maximum sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole if convicted.

blog comments powered by Disqus