Suspect Shot in Old Pasadena Following Pursuit by U.S. Marshals Task Force

Published : Wednesday, August 22, 2018 | 5:02 AM

A suspect wanted on a fugitive warrant was shot and wounded Tuesday afternoon in Old Pasadena by Glendale Police officers working as part of a multi-agency U.S. Marshals Service Fugitive Task Force.

The shooting occurred at about 5:05 p.m. in the busy area of Holly Street and De Lacey Avenue.

Glendale police have named the man shot by its officers Tuesday shortly after 5:05 p.m. in Old Pasadena as Viren Moret, age 31, a resident of Altadena. He was booked for CPC 245 (c) assault on a police officer (not with a firearm). Photo: Glendale Police Dept.

The suspect suffered non-life-threatening injuries. He was arrested and was transported to a local hospital for treatment. No officers were injured.

“An officer-involved shooting occurred and the suspect was struck in the upper thigh,” Glendale Police Department Sgt. Dan Suttles said.

A Pasadena Police Department spokesperson confirmed that the suspect’s vehicle was pinned between two law enforcement vehicles, following a pursuit, before the shooting took place.

Bullet holes in the suspect’s Audi were visible to reporters at the scene.

Suttles said that “possibly more than one suspect” was involved in the incident.

Suttles said that after the shooting the suspect escaped into a nearby parking structure.

Officers gave chase.

The suspect was able to climb to the third floors and convince a driver to give him a ride, Suttles said. When the driver saw approaching police, he exited his car.

Police then were able to arrest the unnamed suspect.

Anna Encinas, who works at a non-profit in the nearby Parsons Building, heard the commotion.

“I was leaving work, and walking from the Parsons Building to the east annex,” Encinas said.

“Suddenly I heard screaming, and a pop!,” she said. Encinas said her co-worker, who witnessed the shooting, said she heard “4 or 5 shots.”

The co-worker was unavailable for comment.

Parsons security officers pushed Encinas and her fellow employees back into the building, she said, where they were finally allowed to leave at approximately 5:45 p.m.

“Our officers were not involved in the shooting,” said Pasadena Police Spokesperson Lt. Jason Clawson. “We were on scene only to facilitate and assist in the matter.”

blog comments powered by Disqus