Published : Wednesday, October 24, 2018 | 7:27 PM
The first phase of Open Enrollment-School Choice for 2019-2020 in the Pasadena Unified School District (PUSD) begins with sibling and priority registration from October 29 through November 16, 2018. The general Open Enrollment period for all students is January 10-February 1, 2019; improvements are being phased in this year to make it easier for families to participate and ensure they get placement in their top choices of schools.
While every child who lives within PUSD boundaries is assured placement in their neighborhood school, the district’s annual Open Enrollment-School Choice process offers families an opportunity to apply to a different school in the next academic year. Through PUSD’s Open Enrollment-School Choice, families can to apply to themed, magnet, or specialized schools and programs outside the boundaries of their school of residence. Themed and magnet programs include Dual Language Immersion Programs in French, Mandarin or Spanish; Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM); International Baccalaureate; visual and performing arts; high school college and career academies, and more.
Sibling and priority registration is the first phase of 2018-2019 Open Enrollment-School Choice. This period applies to:
• Students whose siblings will attend the same school of choice next fall;
• Students in Dual Language Immersion programs who will transition to sixth or ninth grade;
• Willard Elementary students who will enter Blair Middle School’s International Baccalaureate program, and
• Students in Dual Language Immersion programs who are transitioning to sixth and ninth grade.
Registration for sibling and priority enrollment takes place at schools, not the District office. For more details, visit openenrollment.info
The general Open Enrollment-School Choice period for the 2019-2020 school year begins January 11, 2018, with online applications accepted at openenrollment.info for all families who live within district boundaries and PUSD employees.
Improvements have been made in the process this year to make it easier for more families to participate and guarantee that families will only improve their school assignment during each round. Changes this year include:
• Families can select an unlimited number of schools on their preference list in the first round or lottery. Previously, the list had been limited to five schools;
• The same preference list is used in every round, ensuring that families move up their preference lists from one round to the next; and
• After the final round or lottery, families join the waiting list of every school they prefer, in case seats become available after the traditional open enrollment season ends. The list is active through August 9, 2019.
More improvements will be phased in next year, including adding a third round to the process.
These changes to the process are based on recommendations made by a team of faculty and students from Caltech led by Professors Laura Doval, Federico Echenique, and Adam Wierman, who is also a PUSD parent. The team of researchers examined PUSD’s process and historical data from open enrollment when developing these recommendations for changes to the algorithm that the district uses for its lottery.
For more information, contact the Enrollment, Permits, & Student Records office at (626) 396-3639 or visit openenrollment.info
2019-2020 Open Enrollment Calendar
October 29 — November 16, 2018
Sibling & Priority Registration
January 10 — February 1, 2019
Online Applications Accepted, Including PUSD Employees
February 25, 2019
First Lottery Results Online and Mailed
March 4-15, 2019
Registration for Students Selected in First Lottery
March 25-29, 2019
Online Applications Accepted for Second Lottery (New applicants only) & Non-PUSD Applications of Interest Accepted
April 10, 2019
Second Lottery Results Online and Mailed
April 11-19, 2019
Registration for Students Selected in Second Lottery
April 29 — June 7, 2019
Interdistrict Permit Requests to Enter/Exit PUSD
June 3 — July 19, 2019
Requests to Relinquish Permits Submitted at District Office
June 3 — August 9, 2019
New-to-PUSD Intradistrict Requests Submitted at District Office