Published : Friday, November 8, 2019 | 12:25 PM
Pasadena Educational Foundation (PASED) recently celebrated its 14th annual Principal for a Day event with 33 extraordinary community members serving as guest principals at each of the unique Pasadena Unified School District campuses.
“What I really took away from today is that we are not developing young people to be the best in Pasadena we are developing young people to be the best in the world. I was just so impressed by the knowledge-base and critical thinking skills of the students I met with. – Aaron Bruce, Art Center College of Design”
Principal for a Day helps engage the community with schools by inviting community business and civic leaders to spend a morning with a school principal, giving them a rare and valuable perspective of running a public school.
Great schools don’t just happen; it takes a community dedication to education to make a difference. Through Principal for a Day, PEF has now involved almost 500 community members and helped build lasting relationships between the schools, businesses, and the wider community.
Each of PASED’s guest principals had a unique and powerful experience as they learned about the opportunities, challenges, achievements, and importance of our public schools.
The morning event was followed by a luncheon with guest speaker award-winning journalist Val Zavala. During the luncheon participants shared their diverse experiences. [Click here for a full list of guest principals]
Some highlights include:
• Retired Judge Lance Ito and entrepreneur Alejandra Font were greeted by an orchestra performance and toured the LA County Teen Court at Pasadena High School.
• Author Mary Lea Carol & Altadena Town Council Member Sylvia Vega were welcomed by a musical performance in English, Spanish, and French at Altadena Arts Magnet.
• Award-winning journalist Val Zavala rocked out with Eliot Arts Magnet rock band and was transported to the set of Hairspray through the magic of the costume shop.
• Sierra Madre Mayor John Harabedian toured the beautiful Don Benito Elementary school campus at the top of Hastings Ranch.
• JPL Strategic Planner Robert Hanna explored the innovative Design Lab at Washington Steam Multilingual Academy.
Interested in becoming a Pasadena Unified Principal for a Day? Contact Tony Gordo at (626) 396-3625 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pasadena Educational Foundation, 351 South Hudson Ave. RM 153, Pasadena, (626) 396-3625 or visit pasedfoundation.org.