Published : Wednesday, October 3, 2018 | 3:23 PM
For more than 60 years, students from all over the world have come to Southwestern Academy to learn English and prepare to attend an American college or university. Our ESL program allows students to take certain classes concurrently as they study English. The goal of the ESL program is to mainstream each student into a regular high school program as quickly as possible. This normally takes from 18 to 24 months for a beginning student.
In our close-knit environment, international students are part of our community. They live on campus and quickly make friends with Americans in their dorms. Southwestern’s ESL Program is offered at both campuses, year round.
The ESL Program includes
• Three levels of study: beginning, intermediate, and advanced
• Small class sizes of 8-12 students
• Intensive practice in listening, speaking, grammar, phonics, reading, writing, vocabulary, conversation, and note-taking
• Carefully structured courses taught by certified ESL teachers using the latest material resources
• ESL classes concurrently offered with other subjects including art history, music, film, math, geometry, social studies, and American culture
• Advanced classes help students transition into college preparatory coursework
• Full boarding including meals and supervision each day of the week
• Wide range of sports, field trips, and fun activities for an exciting school experience
To see answers to common questions about international study, visit the Frequently Asked Questions Page.
Southwestern Academy, 2800 Monterey Road, San Marino, (626) 799-5010 or visit www.southwesternacademy.edu.