Published : Friday, November 18, 2016 | 1:29 PM
Maybe you’ve heard us use the term “Professional Development”? Possibly it sounded like a dry, technical, educational term to you. But here’s what you didn’t know: It is High Point Academy’s laser focus on professional development that ensures our teachers deliver an exceptional 21st century education to our students.
To put it simply, our emphasis on professional development is the ultimate investment in our faculty—and thus, in your children. Importantly, High Point is investing resources to make this priority a reality and your 2016-2017 Annual Fund donations are instrumental in making it possible for us to offer our faculty powerful professional development and enrichment programs.
In fact, professional development is a mainstay of our 2016-2021 Strategic Plan. The plan specifically lays out our commitment to enhance professional growth programs for faculty. Yet, these programs are not only designed to promote excellence and innovation in the curriculum. The Strategic Plan also directs that the faculty itself be engaged in the planning of programs which are responsive to teachers’ needs. Toward this end, we meet with our teachers on a continual basis to discuss and monitor their professional goals and ongoing development efforts.
Encouragement and Support
HPA not only supports, but actively and consistently encourages and funds faculty participation in all sorts of professional development activity. That activity includes seminars, conferences, associations, continuing study and certification, plus teaching and leadership opportunities.
On-site Training for Teachers
Our faculty enthusiastically and persistently pursue every opportunity imaginable to enrich and enhance their teaching abilities. They seek out off-campus educational offerings after hours, on weekends, and over the summer.
Yet, High Point Academy has also rigorously pursued and established its own on-campus development offerings for our teaching staff. As mandated by our Strategic Plan, we have empowered our faculty to contract, design, and create professional development offerings that will continue to enrich curriculum and instruction at High Point.
Among the on-site professional development offerings for 2016-2017 are:
• Daily 5 CAFÉ training – empowers K-2 teachers to incorporate the most up-to-the-minute reading comprehension, vocabulary, and study skills strategies into the classroom.
• ERB Data Training – An Education Records Bureau representative works with faculty to improve data interpretation of ERB standardized test scores. The training is purposely designed to help teachers use that knowledge to optimize curriculum and instruction.
• Responsive Classroom Training – HPA teachers well-trained in this specialized character education program share their knowledge and skills with their faculty colleagues. By doing so, they create a deeper sense of community and caring within the classroom and across the larger High Point community.
• Math Professional Development – High Point has secured a renowned math curriculum expert for this special opportunity. She trains teachers in the many exciting ways they can incorporate in-depth problem-solving into the math curriculum and into math instruction.
• Apple- and Google-Certified Training – (Coming soon.) An Apple-certified trainer will work with K-3 faculty to enrich curricula via the highly effective incorporation of iPads. A Google-certified trainer will show teachers how to harness the power of laptops to further enhance our tech-empowered curriculum.
• Writer’s Workshop – High Point continues to provide even greater in-depth training via this prominent program. It is designed to enhance students’ expository and creative writing skills across a variety of genres. This program helps teachers to instill a passion for writing and enable a greater understanding of the writing process itself.
Our Ongoing Dedication to Excellence
Going forward, High Point Academy remains committed to prioritizing the professional development of its faculty. We continually assess our faculty, students, and national/international educational advancements, to ensure our teachers offer your children the best education possible. We are dedicated to nurturing teachers who will lead the charge in 21st century education.
To support our efforts, please click here to make your contribution to the High Point Academy Annual Fund.
High Point Academy, 1720 Kinneloa Canyon Road, Pasadena, (626) 798-8989 or visit www.highpointacademy.org.