Applications for Magnet Programs, Dual Language Immersion, International Baccalaureate, Themed High School Academies and Other Signature Programs Accepted Only at www.openenrollment.info
Published : Thursday, January 29, 2015 | 1:04 PM
Thursday, January 29 at 11:59 p.m. is the deadline to complete an application for the Pasadena Unified School District’s (PUSD) Open Enrollment for the 2015-16 academic year and is available exclusively online at openenrollment.info.
Open Enrollment is the district’s school of choice program that offers students the opportunity to attend schools with themed or specialized programs or a campus other than their school of residence. All students living within PUSD boundaries entering kindergarten-11th grade in the 2015-16 school year are eligible to participate in Open Enrollment. Families who live outside of district boundaries will be able to submit an application of interest in the second phase of Open Enrollment March 23-27.
There will be new school attendance boundaries in place for the 2015-2016 school year. Families can visit gopusd.com/locator to see their new PUSD schools of residence. Any child presently attending a school outside of their attendance boundary will not have to change schools next year.
As a result of the new attendance boundaries, Don Benito Fundamental School and Norma Coombs Alternative School are now considered schools of residence, although there will be ample spots at both schools available via Open Enrollment for students from across the district. Field Elementary School (Mandarin Dual Language Immersion) and San Rafael Elementary School (Spanish Dual Language Immersion) join Marshall Fundamental School as schools without a neighborhood attendance boundary and available exclusively through Open Enrollment.
Signature programs for the 2015-16 school year that are available through Open Enrollment include:
DUAL LANGUAGE IMMERSION PROGRAMS
· Two K-5 Spanish Dual Language Immersion programs at San Rafael Elementary School and Jackson STEM Dual Language Magnet Academy.
· A K-5 Dual Language Immersion Program in Mandarin Chinese at Field Elementary School.
· A Spanish Dual Language Immersion and Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) Magnet at Jackson STEM Dual Language Magnet Academy.
· A STEM Magnet Program at Washington Elementary STEM Magnet.
· A middle school Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math (STEAM) program at Washington STEAM Magnet Academy.
· Visual and performing arts for grades 6-8 at Eliot Arts Magnet.
INTERNATIONAL BACCALAUREATE (IB) PROGRAMS
· The IB Primary Years Programme (Grades K-5) at Willard Elementary School.
· The IB Middle Years Programme (Grades 6-10) and the IB Diploma Programme (Grades 11-12) at Blair School.
COLLEGE AND CAREER PATHWAYS (Themed high school academies that partner with local institutions and businesses to provide mentoring and workplace learning opportunities)
· Academy of Creative Industries Pathway at Marshall Fundamental School.
· App Academy: Mobile, Web and Game Development at Pasadena High School.
· Arts, Entertainment and Media Pathway at John Muir High School.
· Business and Entrepreneurship Pathway at John Muir High School.
· Creative Arts, Media and Design Pathway at Pasadena High School.
· Culinary Arts and Hospitality Academy at Blair High School.
· Engineering and Environmental Science Pathway at John Muir High School.
· Health Careers Academy at Blair High School.
· Law and Public Service Pathway at Pasadena High School.
To participate in PUSD’s Open Enrollment, families need to complete the 2015-2016 application online at www.openenrollment.info. Applicants may indicate up to five school choices in order of preference. This Open Enrollment application window closes on January 29, 2015. School placement is by random lottery and placement is not based on when an application is submitted. Families participating in Open Enrollment will be notified about their school placement by February 20, 2015.
Unlike past years, there will not be a waiting list at the conclusion of the Open Enrollment lottery. Any seats not filled in initial phase of open enrollment will be made available in the second phase of open enrollment March 23-27 with placement also determined by a random lottery. This second phase of open enrollment will be for PUSD students who have not yet registered for the 2015-2016 school year. Non-resident applications will also be accepted during this period for any remaining seats not filled by district students.
Assistance and computers for Internet access to complete the online Open Enrollment application are available until 4 p.m. at the PUSD Education Center, 351 S. Hudson Avenue, Pasadena. Families can learn more about PUSD and its schools by viewing the PUSD School Guide at gopusd.com/schoolguide or touring a PUSD campus. For more information about the Open Enrollment process, timelines and answers to frequently asked questions, please visit www.openenrollment.info or call (626) 396-3600, ext. 88340.