Latest Guides

Police, Fire & The Courts

Accused Bomb Maker Due in Court Today

Published on Wednesday, March 20, 2013 | 5:28 am
 

A preliminary hearing is set for today for Gerardo Cortez, who is accused of making bomb threats against a middle school, a post office and the Pasadena Department of Health.

His preliminary hearing is scheduled for Dept. J of the Pasadena Courthouse, 300 E. Walnut St.

Cortez’ alleged threats led to the evacuation of Washington Middle School on Oct. 24 and the health building on Oct. 25. No bombs were found. Authorities said the caller claimed to be armed with an assault rifle and was nearby.

Cortez was charged with three counts of making a false bomb report, three counts of making criminal threats and one count of attempting to make a criminal threat. All are felonies, said Sandi Gibbons of the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.

Cortez, 25, has since pleaded not guilty. He was arrested about a block south of the health building, where he reportedly told officers that he had been very angry due to personal problems.

He also admitted to them that he had made bomb threats against the middle school on Oct. 24.

Get our daily Pasadena newspaper in your email box. Free.

Get all the latest Pasadena news, more than 10 fresh stories daily, 7 days a week at 7 a.m.

Make a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *