Latest Guides

Public Safety

Angeles National Forest Closure Extended Due to Fire Risk

Fire danger level elevated from ‘extreme’ to ‘critical’

Published on Wednesday, September 15, 2021 | 10:42 am
 

The Angeles National Forest will remain closed for public access through Sept. 22 as firefighters across the state battle 11 separate “large uncontained” fires burning their way through national forests, authorities said.

A regional forest closure had been scheduled to expire Wednesday night, but authorities decided to extend the closures for a week in the Angeles National Forest, along with the Cleveland National Forest and the San Bernardino National Forest, according to the U.S. Forest Service.

“Moreover, conditions on the forest have prompted Angeles forest fire managers to increase the fire danger level from Extreme to Critical,” the agency said in a written statement. “New fires continue to occur and major incidents have the potential to exhaust all resources.”

The designation bars entry to the forest for any non-essential activities, officials said.

“This closure order is intended to reduce the likelihood of a new fire starting over the next week,” the statement said. “Through this order, we hope to minimize the likelihood that visitors could become entrapped during an emergency and decrease the potential for new fire starts at a time of extremely limited firefighting resources,” the statement said.

Years of severe drought have led to “rapid growth and increasingly unpredictable fire behavior” as firefighters battle multiple massive blazes in Northern California.

Fire risk in Southern California is only expected to grow worse with the onset of the Santa Ana winds over the coming weeks, officials said.

Angeles National Forest Fire Chief Robert Garcia said the situation will be re-evaluated as resources return from the ongoing fires in the northern portion of the state.

More information on the Angeles National Forest is available online at fs.usda.gov/angeles.

Get our daily Pasadena newspaper in your email box. Free.

Get all the latest Pasadena news, more than 10 fresh stories daily, 7 days a week at 7 a.m.

Make a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

One thought on “Angeles National Forest Closure Extended Due to Fire Risk

  • This is beginning to be bit nonsensical in some places. The closure of access to cabins, litereally in “town” on the Forest service leases, in places like June Lake are unheard of and unnecessary, in such a low fire risk area as that in the town, right by the Lake. But, these closures have been devatating to the local economy. At least with a fire, those businesses losing millions in the local economy could get disaster relief. What kind of relief payments for their losses will these businesses get from USDA, for some of these rather poorly planned ham handed mass closures? The USDA and Forest Service, which own most of CA’s forests, has done the worst job of any public forest owner, foregoing long overdue forest management needs, which has helped to exascerbate greatly this crisis. And, now these businesses get to bear the cost of that mismanagement, as well? Worse, the announcement, while stating some good reasoning forsuch closures, where these kinds of closures would certainly indeed be apprropriate, it then seems to go on to make it sound to more like it may really be a Forest Service funding and budget issue, as much as it is a prudent measure to assure public public safety?