Smoke filled the Vons market in the 2300 block of E. Colorado Blvd. from a malfunctioning heating, air and ventilation unit early this morning, triggering a 4:40 a.m. fire dept. response and a later request for the Pasadena Health Department to follow-up due to exposure of food products to the smoke, officials report.
The building was safely evacuated,Â the equipment was shut down for checkup and turned over to the building administration for possible repair, according to fire dept. personnel who responded to the call.
The damage to commodities was estimated at $2500, officials say.