Join Pasadena Heritage for our 2020 Spring Home Tour, Wallace Neff, Master Architect! The tour will feature notable Pasadena locations from the Golden Era’s most important architect, Wallace Neff. Drive yourself to each location for docent-led tours.
Dr. Kavenel from Chicago commissioned The Dr. Allan B. Kavenel House in 1921. One of Neff’s earliest commissions, it incorporates fine Mediterranean details that were popular during the Golden Age of Southern California architecture.
The Barlow House, also known as Villa del Sol d’Oro, is now part of the Alverno High School campus, but was originally built for Dr. and Mrs. Barlow in 1924. The Villa’s main facade is based on the Villa Collazzi near Florence, Italy. The home includes Neff’s signature grand entry rotunda and winding stair, marble floors, and beautiful wrought iron work.
The Morse and Gates Company, a real estate, insurance and building firm commissioned The Morse & Gates (Mrs. Ethel Guthrie) House in 1925. The house is a beautifully simple Spanish Colonial revival home typical of Neff’s designs.
The Mr. and Mrs. Edwin D. Neff House is a Tuscan style villa designed for Neff’s parents in 1927. The interior typifies Neff’s high standards for even the smallest detail. The house features a dramatic oval entry marked by black and white marble flooring and a central staircase.
Wallace Neff, perhaps best known today as an “architect to the stars,” produced hundreds of exceptional designs that ranged from vernacular styles to grand mansions, reaching from Bel-Air to Santa Barbara to Hollywood and Hancock Park, with a proliferation of homes in the Pasadena area. His ability to work in a variety of styles with equal aptitude made him a favorite with those seeking the very best!
Ticket Information Tickets are on sale at https://wallaceneffhometour.eventbrite.com. Same-day tour tickets may be
purchased online. Call (626) 441-6333 for more information or visit www.pasadenaheritage.org/springtour.
About Pasadena Heritage
Pasadena Heritage is a nonprofit organization founded in 1977 and dedicated to historic preservation in Pasadena. The organization advocates on behalf of historic resources, educates the public about local history and the benefits of preservation, provides referrals and consultations to those restoring historic buildings, and demonstrates quality restoration through its own preservation projects. Its 2,000 plus members are drawn from Pasadena and neighboring communities, and throughout Southern California. www.pasadenaheritage.org