The Pasadena Police Department received a $36,514.00 grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) that will fund activities emphasizing the safety of bicyclists and pedestrians.
“This grant award will help us achieve our goal of making the streets of Pasadena safer for pedestrians and bicyclists,” Pasadena Police Department Lieutenant Anthony Russo said.
“Every bicyclist and pedestrian should feel safe on the road,” OTS Director Barbara Rooney said. “Education is one of many important tools that collectively work to make sure everyone, regardless of how they travel, reaches their destination safely.”
Grant funds will support a variety of activities focused on bicycle and pedestrian safety: • Bicycle training courses that educate youth on safe riding behaviors. • Helmet fitting inspections and distribution of helmets to those in need. • Community and school education presentations.
- Pop-up events that promote the importance of visibility on roads with safety equipment such as reflective armbands/leg bands and bicycle headlights/taillights. • Traffic Safety Fairs and/or Community Events
- Work closely with community-based organizations at both the neighborhood and community level with an effort to reach individuals.
- Participate in the following campaigns: National Walk to School Day, National Bicycle Safety Month, California’s Pedestrian Safety Month and National Pedestrian Safety Month.
- Ped/Bike Safety Presentations
- Ped/Bike Safety Skills Courses
- Walking School Buses
- Walking Field Trips
- Community Outreach Events
- Helmet Usage Surveys
- Distribute pedestrian/bicycle safety items at no cost to youth or community members in need, during bicycle rodeos, presentations, workshops, trainings, and community events to increase safety and visibility.
- Distribute crossing guard safety kits at no cost to schools.
- Participate in Safe Routes to School coalition meetings
The grant program will run through September 2023.
Funding for this program was provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.