The American Red Cross will be conducting drives in Pasadena starting Friday, April 9, as the nation’s precious blood supply remains precariously low due to the pandemic.
From 8:15 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Friday, blood donors can go to the Pasadena Blood Donation Center, 2471 E. Walnut St, Suite 103, to donate. Take note: Donors must schedule an appointment via the American Red Cross blood donor app, or by calling 1-800-RED CROSS, before going to the blood drive.
• The American Red Cross is also testing all donations for COVID-19 antibodies, which may be developed by a person’s immune system in response to a coronavirus infection or a vaccine. Plasma from whole blood donations that test positive for high levels of COVID-19 antibodies may be used in convalescent plasma treatments for coronavirus patients.
• COVID-19 antibody test results will be available to donors within two weeks in the Red Cross Blood Donor App or donor portal.
All blood types are needed, especially type O, the Red Cross said. By donating blood, donors will be helping patients of all ages, among them accident and burn victims, heart surgery and organ transplant patients, and those battling cancer. Every two seconds, someone in the U.S. needs blood, the Red Cross estimates.
To qualify as a blood donor, you have to be at least 18. Sixteen- and 17-year old teens must secure a written parental consent before donating.
In addition, donors must weigh at least 110 pounds and be in generally good health. Those who are 18 and younger also need to meet certain height and weight requirements.
For more information about blood donor eligibility requirements, visit www.redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/how-to-donate/eligibility-requirements.html.
These Red Cross blood drives follow coronavirus safety protocols, including temperature screening, social distancing and face coverings for donors and staff.
Following Friday’s blood drive, following are other blood drives scheduled at the Pasadena Blood Donation Center:
• April 10, 7:45 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• April 11, 7:45 a.m. to2:45 p.m.
• April 12, 12:15 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
• April 13, 12:15 p.m. to 7:15 p.m.
• April 14, 12:15 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
• April 15, 10:45 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• April 16, 8:15 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
• April 17, 7:45 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• April 18, 7:45 a.m. to 2:45 p.m.
• April 19, 12:15 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
• April 20, 12:15 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
• April 21, 12:15 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
• April 22, 10:45 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• April 23, 8:15 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
• From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday, April 13, a blood drive will be conducted at First Baptist Church, 75 N Marengo St., Pasadena.
• From 1 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, April 14, the Pasadena Scottish Rite Temple at 150 N. Madison Ave. hosts a blood drive.
• From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. April 18, a blood drive will also be held at the Boys and Girls Club of Pasadena, 2020 N. Fair Oaks Ave.
• And from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. April 20, another drive will be held at All Saints Episcopal Church, 132 N. Euclid Ave.
To download the Red Cross Donor App, go to www.redcrossblood.org/blood-donor-app.html.
For more information, visit www.redcrossblood.org.