The City of Pasadena Public Health Department (PPHD) has confirmed a new case of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in a Pasadena resident. The details of this case are still under investigation. The total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Pasadena is two.
PPHD is following up directly with those who have had close contact with this individual and may be at risk for COVID-19 infection. Close contacts are informed on how to assess and monitor for signs and symptoms of illness and are quarantined.
“We urge the community to follow public health guidance and take measures to maximize social distancing,” said Dr. Ying-Ying Goh, PPHD Director and Health Officer.
“Your actions can help protect yourself from COVID-19, reduce the spread of illness among your family and friends, and preserve our healthcare resources for everyone. We will keep the community informed of new cases and changes in guidance as the situation evolves.”
As laboratory capacity for COVID-19 increases, there may be additional confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the community. Individuals can take everyday precautions to reduce the risk of getting sick with seasonal colds or flu including:
* Stay home if you are sick;
* Wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds; if soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer;
* Cover your cough or sneeze;
* Get your flu shot to protect against influenza;
* Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces;
* If you have underlying health conditions or are an older adult, consider avoiding large gatherings; and
* If you have recently returned from an area with ongoing COVID-19 infections, follow public health guidance and monitor your health. Call your healthcare providers and inform them about your travel history if you need care.
For the latest information on COVID-19, visit https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html.
Stay connected to the City of Pasadena! Visit us online at www.cityofpasadena.net; follow us on Twitter at @PasadenaGov, and Instagram and Facebook at @CityOfPasadena; or call the Citizen Service Center, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday at (626) 744-7311.