The Latest

Community News

Still No Decision on Tournament of Roses Royal Court

Tryouts for the Court normally a seasonal tradition at this time of year

Published on Tuesday, September 1, 2020 | 8:51 am
 

Despite the cancelation of the Rose Parade nearly two months ago, the Tournament of Roses still has not made a decision regarding the Royal Court.

On Monday, an official with the tournament said officials are still attempting to figure out how to celebrate local traditions during the pandemic.

“The Royal Court and Rose Queen are iconic traditions here in Pasadena and something to be celebrated,” said Candy Carlson. “We’re discussing how to honor the traditions and abide by state guidelines. A final decision hasn’t been made and an announcement is expected in the next few weeks.”

Every September hundreds of young women between the ages of 17 to 21 interview for the honor of serving as a member of the Royal Court.

The seven-member Royal Court presides over the Rose Bowl and Rose Parade on New Years Day and attends hundreds of events every year.

The young ladies who make it to the Royal Court typically experience such benefits as becoming part of an organization dedicated to hands-on volunteerism, discovering opportunities to connect with and give back to the local community, developing public speaking skills, and growing self-confidence.

In addition to Rose Queen, six Rose Princesses are also selected from the finalists to make up the Royal Court. Together, they attend nearly a hundred community and media functions, serving as ambassadors of the Tournament of Roses, the Pasadena community, and the greater Los Angeles area.

The first Rose Queen Hallie Woods was named in 1905, the 16 runner ups made the trip with her down the parade route.

If a royal court is not selected, it won’t be the first time.

In 1912, 1915-1922, 1924, 1927 and 1929 no Royal Court was selected.

The tournament announced on July 15 that the parade had been canceled. At that time, officials said a decision on the court would be made in the near future, but so far there has been no word on the matter.

The chances of a Rose Bowl Game were reduced after several conferences canceled their season.

 If there is no Royal Court it would mark the first time that all traditional tournament festivities have been canceled since the first queen was chosen in 1905.

The parade was held in the years when a Rose Queen was not selected, and although tournament officials canceled the parade and moved the game after the attack on Pearl Harbor which plunged the U.S. into WWII, the Royal Court was chosen.

The parade was also canceled in 1944 and 1945, but the Royal Court was chosen in both years.

Get our daily Pasadena newspaper in your email box. Free.

Get all the latest Pasadena news, more than 10 fresh stories daily, 7 days a week at 7 a.m.

Make a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *