More and more people are renting storage units for a variety of reasons. The Pasadena Police Department (PPD) receives numerous reports of storage lockers being broken into and personal items being stolen. PPD would like the public to consider the following when renting a storage locker:
• Rent from locations that have functioning surveillance cameras. There should be exterior cameras around the building and cameras inside of hallways and corridors.
• Ask to see the security monitors to ensure your storage unit is in view of a working security camera.
• Before a crime occurs, ask if the company will provide surveillance video in a timely manner to law enforcement to assist in an investigation.
• Be mindful of how the unit’s ceiling is secured; is it merely wire mesh that is easily accessible from other storage units?
• Ensure the facility conducts regular checks on each locker.
• Purchase a lock that is difficult to cut, e.g..,disc locks.
• Ensure the locking mechanism (hasp or plate) cannot be pried open or unscrewed.
• Regularly check on your stored belongings.
• Do not give out the access code to the facility.
• Be aware of your surroundings; is anyone watching you place valuables into a locker?
• Maintain photographs and a list of items stored at the location.
Anyone with information regarding incidents of theft are encouraged to call the Pasadena Police Department at (626) 744-4241. To provide information anonymously, call “Crime Stoppers” by dialing (800) 222-TIPS (8477); or report via your smartphone by downloading the “P3 Tips” Mobile APP on Google play or the Apple App Store, or by using the website http://lacrimestoppers.org.