Los Angeles County Supervisor Kathryn Barger and Los Angeles County Department of Public Health Director Dr. Barbara Ferrer in Monday hosted a roundtable to provide an update on the novel coronavirus. They were joined by Zhang Ping, the Consul General of the People’s Republic of China in Los Angeles.
“Concerns about the coronavirus has had a tremendous impact on residents, businesses, schools, and healthcare professionals throughout the region, along with a significant drain on travel and tourism,” Supervisor Barger said. “Participating in ongoing dialogue is critical to share accurate information about the latest efforts in Los Angeles County to protect our communities and to avoid any unnecessary repercussions.”
Dr. Ferrer spoke about the current status of the virus and the efforts of the Department of Public Health to protect residents and prevent the spread of illness.
“Nobody should assume that anyone of Asian descent is likely to have the novel coronavirus,” Dr. Ferrer said. “Los Angeles County has only had one case of novel coronavirus in a traveler from Wuhan City, China last month. That person has since been cleared with two negative tests and is no longer subject to quarantine or isolation orders. There have been no additional cases in Los Angeles County and the immediate risk to the general public here is low.”
Dr. Ferrer highlighted informational materials, videos and updates that are available in multiple languages, including Chinese, to assist health professionals, school administrators, elected officials and community leaders to communicate with the public. These resources can be found on the Department of Public Health’s website here.