One of Pasadena’s most important traditions is set to return September 11 when hundreds of young women are expected at the Tournament of Roses’ Wrigley Mansion for interviews for the 2022 Royal Court.
The first round of initial interview sessions for eligible applicants will continue with a second session the following Monday, September 13.
This is the first time the selection process has been undertaken since 2019 because the pandemic forced the cancellation of the 2021 Rose Parade.
“We’re looking forward to kicking off the 2022 Royal Court selection process in less than two weeks,” the Tournament of Roses said in a statement Tuesday. “The Rose Queen and Royal Court are iconic traditions and we look forward to continuing the treasured legacy.”
Those seven young women who are ultimately selected to preside over the 133rd Rose Bowl and 108th Rose Bowl Game as members of the Royal Court will each receive $7,500 scholarships “and serve as ambassadors of the Tournament of Roses, the Pasadena community and the greater Los Angeles area,” an earlier statement said.
“Royal Court members experience countless benefits,” the Tournament said. “Becoming part of an organization dedicated to hands-on volunteerism, discovering opportunities to connect with and give back to the local community, developing public speaking skills and growing self-confidence.”
Tournament officials assured students and parents that strict health guidelines will be practiced for the upcoming Royal Court interview sessions.
“We have implemented COVID-19 protocols by hosting the event outside and requiring that all applicants be fully vaccinated,” the statement said.“Ensuring the health and safety of the Royal Court is our first priority and requiring participants to be fully vaccinated is the first step.”
After the initial interview process, approximately 250 individuals will be invited back to round two. From that group, about 75 young women will be asked to participate in the third round of interviews.
On September 28, about 25 of the candidates will be announced as finalists, and then the seven-member Royal Court will be announced on Monday, October 4, 2021.
Earlier the Tournament released eligibility requirements and applications online.
Please note the extension of eligibility for those who would have been eligible for the 2021 Royal Court may apply for the 2022 Royal Court.
- Identify as a female, at least 17 years of age by December 31, 2021 and not more than 21 years of age before January 5, 2022
- Be a full-time resident of the Pasadena Area Community College District
- Possess at least a 2.0 grade point average in both the current and previous years’ course work
- Be available to participate, in person, in all interview sessions in the fall
- Be a senior in high school or enrolled as a full-time student (minimum 12 units) in any accredited school or college in the Pasadena Area Community College District
- Complete the official Royal Court online application
- Must provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination and be fully vaccinated by initial interview session on September 11, 2021 or September 13, 2021
The online application portal for the Royal Court is at https://www.roseparaderoyalcourt.com/.
The interviews on Saturday, September 11 will be conducted in two sessions, from 10 a.m. to
12 p.m. and from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. There will be just one interview session on Monday, Sept. 13, from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Tournament House is located at 391 S Orange Grove Blvd, Pasadena.