Blair’s IB Learner Characteristic for November is Caring
Caring is having empathy, compassion and respect towards others, and working to take care of your community and world.
Blair’s International Baccalaureate (IB) approach applies ten characteristics to describe an IB learner. As an IB World School, at Blair all students, staff and teachers strive to demonstrate the attributes of Inquirer, Thinker, Caring, Balanced, Knowledgeable, Open Minded, Risk taker, Communicator, Reflective and Principled.
This “IB Learner Profile” also demonstrates how the IB approach is about much more than academic success. Each month at Blair one characteristic is highlighted. For the month of November we are focusing on Caring.
Caring – IB learners show empathy, compassion and respect towards the needs and feelings of others. They have a personal commitment to service, and act to make a positive difference to the lives of others and to the environment. Students who are CARING want people around them to be happy and are sensitive to their needs. They think about the world and work to take care of their community and the environment. They remember to treat others how they themselves would like to be treated.
• Role model the caring behavior you would like to see.
• Use kind words; help people without being asked. Being an active listener shows you care about people.
• Even a simple thing like holding a door for someone shows you are aware of others around you and want to help them.
• Get involved with community organizations.
• Care about the environment–you are helping the future of the globe.
• After reading a book or article, spend some time considering how the people in the book acted. Was someone in the book caring? All of the time or just some of the time? Were all of the characters in the book caring or just some of them?
• Write an encouraging note to someone. Show them you are thankful for them.
• Take action for positive changes (for example, to promote intercultural understanding, foster caring relationships, care for self and others)
Blair is an IB World School with three IB programs. The Middle Years Programme is all students grades 6-10. The Diploma Programme is offered for 11th and 12th graders, with the option of pursuing the full Diploma or individual course certificates. In the Career-related Programme, Health Careers Academy students integrate IB Diploma courses with their technical training and other requirements.
Blair High School, 1201 S. Marengo Avenue, Pasadena, (626) 396-5820 or visit www.pusd.us/site/Default.aspx?PageID=55.