California Credit Union Awards Scholarship to Blair High School Student
California Credit Union has awarded a $1,000 scholarship to Blair High School student Denisse Andersen.
The scholarship is part of the credit union’s annual College Scholarship Program, which awards $1,000 scholarships to 10 high school students.
Through the program, California Credit Union recognizes exceptional students throughout the greater Los Angeles area who are active in both their schools and the communities, giving back to others through service and volunteer work.
“We are honored to support these exceptional students and community members as they move to the next level in their education, particularly during this challenging time,” said California Credit Union CEO Steve O’Connell. “We received a number of outstanding applications, which were inspiring to all of us. As a credit union founded to serve the education community, we are proud to support this next generation of leaders, and wish them the best of luck in their college career.”
Other recipients were
• Zackery Adler, California Academy of Math and Science, Carson
• Brendan Harvey, Crescenta Valley High School, La Crescenta
• Rachel Hidalgo, STEM Academy of Hollywood, Hollywood
• Abigail Leyva, Francisco Bravo Medical Magnet High School, Los Angeles
• Lianne Sauvage, Belmont Senior High School, Los Angeles
• Grace Tomasek, Burbank High School, Burbank
• Michael Udo, King/Drew Magnet High School of Medicine and Science, Los Angeles
• Edwin Ulloa, Grover Cleveland Charter High School, Reseda
• Hilda Gramajo Valenzuela, Sylmar Biotech Health & Engineering Magnet, Sylmar
College-bound high school seniors and community college students transferring to a four-year university who maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.0 and plan to attend an accredited college or university in the coming year were eligible to participate.
This year, California Credit Union’s Scholarship Program received over 780 applications, which were reviewed by a Scholarship Committee consisting of credit union staff who selected the award recipients.
The California Credit Union Annual College Scholarship program was created in 2005 to recognize outstanding students within its local communities. Since the creation of the program, the credit union has awarded more than $335,000 in scholarships to students across Los Angeles and San Diego counties.