Mayfield Senior School Shows Sisters Their Remodeled Former Home
The South Wing of Strub Hall on the campus of Mayfield Senior School is bustling with activity each day. Students talk and laugh between classes, teachers give engaging lectures, the Library and Technology Center hums with concentration and Cornelia’s Garden bathes in sunlight and is filled with quiet spots to meet friends. Forty years ago, it wasn’t so different, except that instead of students learning in the South Wing, it was nuns living there. The Mayfield Senior School campus was donated to the Society of the Holy Child Jesus by the Strub family in 1950, and the South Wing was added in 1953 and became a convent for the Sisters to live in.
In 1994, the Sisters moved out of their convent to a residence in Pasadena. For many years after the nuns relocated, the South Wing was used as offices and storage space, but this fall, Mayfield Senior School opened a fully remodeled facility, complete with six state-of-the-art classrooms and a Library and Technology Center. The reconstruction has been funded by the Faith In Our Future Capital Campaign, of which we have now entered the final phase. For more information click here. The delicious food the Sisters and their friends and family shared was provided by Mary Pat Brandmeyer (mother of Katherine Brandmeyer ’10) and her business The Market on Holly. Thank you, Mary Pat!
The South Wing buzzed with activity of the Sisters again: on Saturday, September 22nd, the nuns came home. Sisters and friends of the Society of the Holy Child Jesus were invited back to campus for an afternoon tea and tour of the new facilities. Many of the Sisters had lived in the space for more than twenty years and they were thrilled to see the loving and state-of-the-art transformation that has occurred on campus.
For more information, visit www.mayfieldsenior.org .