Nestled in the heart of La Cañada Flintridge, Descanso Gardens has long been a cherished destination for nature lovers and art enthusiasts alike. This March, visitors can add a new attraction to their must-see list with the debut of The Store at Descanso Gardens. A newly remodeled gift shop filled with locally made, handcrafted products, The Store provides a unique opportunity for visitors to take home a piece of their visit to the gardens.
From hand-painted murals to a wide range of garden-themed items created by talented local artisans, The Store at Descanso Gardens is a haven for visitors seeking unique and high-quality products. The shop features a line of “private label” items that draw inspiration from the gardens, including pottery, vintage postcards, bags, hats, and more.
To celebrate the opening of The Store, Descanso Gardens is hosting an invitation-only event on Saturday, March 11. Attendees will have the chance to meet ten of the shop’s artisans and purchase their wares before the shop opens to the public on Sunday, March 12.
The Store’s focus on artisanal products reflects the growing interest in sustainable and ethical consumption. Visitors can feel good about their purchases, knowing that they are supporting skilled craftspeople and promoting sustainable production practices.
Among the local makers featured at The Store are:
• José Lemus, who creates stunning jewelry featuring insects from vintage finds.
• Clay ca, an artist-run ceramic studio in Los Angeles’ Chinatown, that designed and created The Descanso Pot.
• Danyele Thomas’ Misty Jane Jewelry, featuring delicate combinations of colorful wires, shapes, beads, and stones.
• Kai and David Oredugba’s Duba Teas, which offers blends available only at Descanso Gardens.
• Laura Ann of Laura Ann Jams, who uses only the freshest, locally-sourced fruits, herbs, and other local ingredients.
• Photographer Alice Zrodlo, who has spent years chronicling the garden.
• Author Fabiana Badie, whose book “Garden Teatime” is a Descanso favorite.
• John Kelly Chocolates, whose small chocolate factory in Hollywood has turned into an award-winning brand.
In addition to local artisans, The Store also features “private label” items with the Descanso logo and artwork by Allison Starcher. Internationally known high-end gift and stationery creator Anna Griffin is also featured.
Whether you are searching for a unique gift or a special treat for yourself, The Store at Descanso Gardens is sure to delight your taste buds and nourish your soul.
The Gift Shop on the grounds of Descanso Gardens, 1418 Descanso Drive, in La Cañada Flintridge. Descanso Gardens is open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is $15 for adults; $11 for seniors and students with a school I.D.; $5 for children 5 to 12, and free for children under 5. For more information call (818) 949-4200 or descansogardens.org.