During this period of quarantine, many older adults want to discover new interests, increase activity levels and prevent boredom, loneliness and depression.
With the Altadena Senior Center closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic and not offering classes online, the Pasadena Senior Center invites older adults, regardless of their cities of residency, to sign up for any or all of its nearly 30 autumn classes. Membership at the Pasadena Senior Center is not required.
“We want to fill this critical need for older adults everywhere so they can interact with others and reverse the emotional and physical impacts of isolation and loneliness,” said Akila Gibbs, executive director of the Pasadena Senior Center. “Our nearly 30 Zoom courses are the next best thing to groups of people getting together in person for a common purpose, and everyone, everywhere, is invited to participate. We even extended the age range to 40 and older.”
Register no later than Friday, Oct. 9, at www.pasadenaseniorcenter.org. Everyone who registers will receive email instructions for accessing Zoom classes online.
Most courses are 10 weeks; a few are eight, five and four weeks. All are taught by experienced instructors who are certified in their respective fields. The total cost of each course ranges from only $40 to $85 for Pasadena Senior Center members and only $50 to $95 for non-members.
• Zumba Gold – Mondays from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. beginning Oct. 12. Low-intensity dance/fitness program features Latin and world rhythms.
• Beginning Tap – Tuesdays from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. beginning Oct 13. Learn basic steps during each class, followed by a fun tap routine.
• Intermediate Tap – Tuesdays from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. beginning Oct. 13. Learn new routines as well as standard routines such as the Shim Sham Shimmy.
• Solo Ballroom Dancing – Wednesdays from 2 to 3 p.m. beginning Oct. 14. No dance partner at home? No problem! Learn basic patterns of ballroom dances.
• Solo Ballroom Line Dancing – Wednesdays from 3 to 4 p.m. beginning Oct. 14. Learn basic steps from foxtrot to cha cha in a line dance format.
• BollyX LIT – Fridays from 3 to 4 p.m. beginning Oct. 16. Low-impact, Bollywood-inspired course improves coordination and mind-body awareness with dynamic choreography.
• Strength Training – Mondays and Thursdays from 10 to 11 a.m. beginning Oct. 5. Use anything that creates resistance, such as bottles of water, scarves and towels.
• Beginner/Intermediate Pep Up Your Life – Saturdays from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. beginning Oct. 10. Introductory course increases flexibility, balance, muscle mass and bone density.
• Beginner/Intermediate Pep Up Your Life (additional class) – Tuesdays from 8 to 9 a.m. beginning Oct. 13.
• Beginner/Intermediate Pep Up Your Life (additional class) – Fridays from 8 to 9 a.m. beginning Oct. 16.
• Intermediate/Advanced Pep Up Your Life – Saturdays from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. beginning Oct. 10. Advanced course increases flexibility, balance and more.
• Mat Pilates – Tuesdays from 9:15 to 10:15 a.m. beginning Oct. 13. This course improves strength, flexibility, balance and coordination.
• Yoga and Presence Practice/Meditation – Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to noon beginning Oct. 13. Combines balance and flexibility with mind, body and spirit.
• Yoga – Wednesdays from 9 to 10:25 a.m. beginning Oct. 14. Aligns asanas (poses) through careful sequencing. For beginning, intermediate and advanced levels.
• Chair Aerobics – Wednesdays from 9:30 to 10:15 a.m. beginning Oct. 14. Combines low-impact exercise with weights to tone muscles and increase flexibility.
• Chair Aerobics (additional class) – Fridays from 9:30 to 10:15 a.m. beginning Oct. 16.
• Qigong and Tai Chi – Thursdays from 10 to 11 a.m. beginning Oct. 15. Enhances physical and spiritual well-being through slow, fluid movements.
Hobbies and Special Interests
• Advanced Watercolors – Thursdays from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. beginning Oct. 1. Designed for experienced watercolor painters.
• Advanced Watercolors (additional class) – Thursdays from 1 to 3 p.m. beginning Oct. 1..
• The Art and Joy of Sewing – Mondays from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. beginning Oct. 12. Work with patterns, operate a sewing machine and more. Fabrics are included in the cost of the course. All skill levels are welcome.
• Creative Writing – Wednesdays from 11 a.m. to noon. Beginning Oct. 14. Learn how to write poetry, memoirs, novels and more.
• Beginner French 1 – Wednesdays from 2:30 to 4 p.m. beginning Oct. 14. With an emphasis on travel terms, basic grammar, present tense and French culture.
• Beginner French 2 – Mondays from 9:30 to 11 a.m. beginning Oct. 12. Continue to build grammar and vocabulary and learn additional tenses, culture.
• Intermediate French – Mondays from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. beginning Oct. 12. Direct communication, more vocabulary, tenses and French culture.
• Advanced French 1 – Wednesdays from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. beginning Oct. 14. Continue direct communication, vocabulary, literary tenses and French culture.
• Advanced French 2 – Wednesdays from 9 to 11 a.m. beginning Oct 14. Major grammar concepts, French literature, culture and more.
• Introduction to Spanish – Wednesdays from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. beginning Oct. 14. Greetings, vocabulary and grammar, including class discussion and conversation.
• Intermediate Spanish – Wednesdays from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. beginning Oct. 14 Grammatical skills, vocabulary and conversation will be strengthened.
• Making Sense of the News – Thursdays from 1 to 2 p.m. beginning Oct. 15. Why some topics make it to the front page while others do not, and who decides.
For more information visit www.pasadenaseniorcenter.org or call (626) 795-4331.