Latest Guides

Non-Profits News

Supervisor Barger Empowers Pasadena’s Door of Hope With $150,000 Donation to Help Domestic Violence Survivors

Published on Friday, January 12, 2024 | 5:09 am
 

Los Angeles County Supervisor Kathryn Barger has made a significant contribution of $150,000 to Door of Hope, a Pasadena-based non-profit organization dedicated to assisting domestic violence survivors. Door of Hope has been operating a successful domestic violence shelter in the Tri-Cities region (Pasadena, Burbank and Glendale) since 2019.

Barger represents Pasadena on the County Board of Supervisors.

Barger’s donation aims to bolster Door of Hope’s mission to support domestic violence survivors. The funds will be instrumental in providing essential services such as employment assistance, mental health support, case management, and housing navigation services to those seeking refuge and healing.

“Door of Hope is running a successful sheltering program for women and their children, showing up for them at their darkest hour and preventing a fall into homelessness,” Supervisor Barger said. “I am a proud supporter of their mission to help domestic violence survivors. I wholeheartedly know these funds will be put to good use.”

Door of Hope’s shelter, serving as a safe haven in the Tri-Cities region, is currently accommodating 14 families with plans to expand its capacity in the coming months. The shelter operates with a commitment to being trauma-informed and has been adapting its approach to better meet the evolving needs of survivors.

Reverend Megan Katerjian, Chief Executive Officer of Door of Hope since 2017, said the organization is grateful for Supervisor Barger’s support of faith-based organizations.

“We’ve gone through a lot of changes over the past six years, including becoming more trauma-informed in our approach and repurposing space so we can shelter more families,” Rev. Katerjian said. “The pandemic created a lot of stress at home and domestic violence rates shot up, so we’re seeing more need, too. I appreciate Supervisor Barger’s support of faith-based organizations like ours. Door of Hope is honored to partner with her to help vulnerable families in need.”

The Tri-Cities shelter has played a crucial role in responding to the increased rates of domestic violence, especially during the challenging times brought on by the pandemic. Approximately 75% of clients are referred by a local YWCA emergency shelter, and the remaining 25% come from other emergency shelters.

Over the past six years, Door of Hope has achieved remarkable outcomes, with over 87% of its clients transitioning into their permanent homes. Last year, approximately 78% of families witnessed an increase in their income, while 82% augmented their savings during their time in the program.

A statement on the organization’s website says Door of Hope is “one of the only homeless providers that can shelter any kind of family together in their own private unit,” including single moms, single dads, and two-parent families and their children.

For those seeking more information about Door of Hope and its programs, visit www.doorofhope.us

Get our daily Pasadena newspaper in your email box. Free.

Get all the latest Pasadena news, more than 10 fresh stories daily, 7 days a week at 7 a.m.

Make a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 

 

 

buy ivermectin online
buy modafinil online
buy clomid online
buy ivermectin online