La Cañada Unified School District to Offer Independent Study for TK-12 Grade Students
To participate in the Independent Study program, TK-12 grade students must be able to complete their school work at home independently and have a parent/guardian/caregiver who is able to assist in accessing learning. Content for the program will be provided by LCUSD and will be aligned to California standards.
Students enrolled in Independent Study for the 2021-22 school year will have the option of returning to in-person learning during the school year.
Students with special needs will need to work with their Individual Educational Plan (IEP) teams to address the request for Independent Study and adjust services as appropriate.
Independent Study daily live interaction and synchronous instruction requirements are:
– Grades TK-3: Opportunities for daily synchronous instruction
– Grades 4-8: Opportunities for both daily live interaction and weekly synchronous instruction
– Grades 9-12: Opportunities for at least weekly synchronous instruction
• “Live interaction” means interaction between the pupil and LEA classified or certificated staff, and may include peers, provided for the purpose of maintaining school connectedness, including, but not limited to, wellness checks, progress monitoring, provision of services and instruction. This interaction may take place in person or in the form of internet or telephonic communication.
• “Synchronous instruction” means classroom-style instruction, or designated small-group or one-on-one instruction delivered in person or in the form of internet or telephonic communications, involving live two-way communication between the teacher and pupil.
The Independent Study Program at the elementary sites will provide the participating students 40 minutes of whole group, daily, live synchronous instruction and interaction per grade level. At LCHS 7/8, students in the Independent Study Program will receive 60 minutes of whole group, daily live instruction and interaction. At LCHS, students in the Independent Study Program will receive 60 minutes of whole group, live instruction and interaction twice per week.
To learn more about Independent Study Program review the frequently asked questions below:
The Independent Study presentation to the Governing Board is below
La Cañada Unified School District, 4490 Cornishon Ave., La Cañada, (818) 952-8300 or visit www.lcusd.net.