With the kick-off to summer and things starting to warm up, the biggest trend of the season is always about finding the perfect pair of shades. This wardrobe essential is fun, easy to update and offers the perfect finishing touch to any look. After a year on lockdown, people are ready to get back outside and are refreshing their looks with the latest fashion trends — starting with this season’s must-have sunglasses.
From pilot frames and aviators to cat-eye and geometric shapes, this year’s latest and greatest accessory trends run the gamut when it comes to finding a style for every taste. Nir Patel, President, Chief Merchandising Officer at Belk, who recently launched the new ‘Sunnies at Belk’ store online and at select locations across the Southeast, breaks down the top five shade trends you need to know about heading into summer.
- Cat-eye — Cat-eye glasses continue to be a big trend this year. Whether in a business environment or a playdate at the park, these mysterious yet sophisticated frames can take you from professional to playful. Add extra flare by choosing a pair with winged edges or one with more of a retro look to mix it up.
- Geometric — Geometric-shaped sunglasses are all the rage this year — and for good reason. These thick-rimmed frames, often in the shape of a hexagon, square or even rectangle, offer a bold look that’s sure to pop.
- Pilot frames — Think new age aviators. You’ve likely seen your favorite influencer sporting pilot frames this year. They feature a brow bar and teardrop style frame, suitable for all. This staple look is the perfect blend between traditional and contemporary.
- Clear-lens — For perhaps the biggest trend of 2021, look no further than sunglasses with clear lens, yes clear. While they may not offer protection from the sun, these see-through glasses feature a fun, chic look that you can sport outside or inside.
- Classic — While all these styles offer fun looks for any outdoor (or indoor) activity, it’s true that everyone needs a pair of sunglasses for everyday wear. The aviator is a perfect go-to for any occasion, and rest assured, will never go out of style.
“Sunglasses have always been a fun way for people to show off their personalities,” said Patel. “There are so many stylish trends this year, which is why it’s the perfect time to launch our new sunglass shop, ‘Sunnies at Belk.’ Now, customers have the opportunity to explore the largest selection of designer shades we’ve ever had at Belk.”
Belk opened “Sunnies at Belk” at the end of May, bringing hundreds of designer sunglasses to three unique in-store shops (across North Carolina and South Carolina) as well as Belk.com. In addition to the already popular Belk sunglass brands such as COACH, Michael Kors, Ralph Lauren and Ray-Ban, the new sunglass shop features designer collections with luxury brands including Prada, Gucci, Versace and many more.